Thursday, November 06, 2008


The Creepiest Horror Movie

This is quite too late for Halloween but I don’t think there’s something else more scarier and spookier than Ringu,a Japanese horror movie directed by Hideo Nakata and released in 1999. It was based on a novel of the same name by Koji Suzuki.

The story circles about a cursed video tape that when you watched it, you will get a strange phone call telling you you’ll die in seven days. And the eerie part is the way people die. When the deadline comes, the TV set suddenly turns blackout and then a spine-chilling girl comes out of the TV set crawling and coming out for you. Well, she doesn’t kill you herself physically. She kills you by scaring the hell out of your wits. And you wouldn’t want to stare at the victims long enough, you’ll just scare yourself. The victims’ mouths were opened permanently and their faces were painted with gruesome horror. Those ghastly images were like blinking lights that kept popping in my head. But of course the scariest image is that of Sadako, the girl from the TV set. I think the night when I went to sleep and I close my eyes, her reflection keeps coming back to my senses. It definitely gave me goose bumps. I could hardly sleep then.

Ringu, has absolutely started a new trend in the horror genre. No doubt, Japanese filmmakers make the best horror movies. Not even their Hollywood remakes can match up to that. When Ringu became a big hit, Hollywood started showing interest in Japanese horror movies. They started with a remake of Ringu and then came The Grudge and others followed.

It has a really simple story but definitely very original in nature. When it came out, I was like wow I’ve never seen anything like this. A cursed video tape and a creepy girl from the TV out to kill you on your deadline. No bloodsucking and flesh hungry zombies or vampires. No knives or any pointed objects used to kill victims. No chainsaw. No corny ghosts. No white Halloween masks. No possessed girl who can move her head. No creepy voices. Just pure and original spine-chilling movie. I won’t tell the whole story. Go on, watch it and freak yourself out.