Tuesday, January 27, 2009





My Chinese New Year Experience

I went to Ongpin last Saturday, January 24 particularly to look for some Takeshi Kaneshiro movies. I was with my Mom who I asked to accompany me because I might get lost. Well, we kind of got lost getting to Ongpin.

We continued to walk through the narrow streets of Ongpin. People were everywhere in Binondo, pure Chinese; half- Chinese or non – Chinese. I myself happen to have bought lucky charms. Besides, I’m part Chinese and it’s really nothing new to me as my relatives and my family has been following some Chinese traditions.

Back to what my real purpose in coming to Ongpin, I finally saw the sign of Mei-Ah Vcd Shop. I hurriedly went to the shop and looked for Chinese movies of Takeshi Kaneshiro. Unfortunately, they don’t have Chinese movies. But they do have wide selections of Korean, Taiwanese and Chinese series like in Hidalgo in Quiapo. They also have animes which I love as well and music albums. I may not have bought something but I definitely will come back, besides they sell DVD’s on a lesser price. I ended up buying at the store next to it which I think is another branch of Mei-Ah. Luckily, I saw Golden Bowl; one of Takeshi Kaneshiro’s Japanese series. And I also bought A Moment to Remember and Strawberry on the Shortcake.

I really wanted to see a real dragon dance. I did saw the dragon mascot but they weren’t performing yet because it was still Saturday. I really love the colors around the place. The different colors of boxes of Tikoy, red lanterns, gold and others bright colors of lucky charms. Although my family doesn’t actually follow the Chinese New Year, I like Tikoy very much, I believe in feng shui and lucky charms and I like how Chinese celebrates the New Year uniquely. Because, you see I’m 40% Chinese and 60% Filipino. My Dad is 75% Chinese from his mestiso father and pure Chinese mother. My Mom on the other hand is pure Filipino from Lucban, Quezon. So I really have a taste of the Chinese culture and tradition. During All Soul’s Day, my family lit incenses for our departed elders and we burn the so called Chinese money. And we lit big red candles with dragon designs. This is how we pay respects to our elders.

I’m proud of my Chinese blood, as you know Chinese are known for being patient, persistent and hard working. Chinese are very artsy and we have a very beautiful ancient culture. This must also be the reason why I like Chinese movies particularly that of Mr. Kaneshiro of course. I really love classical Chinese music as well with ethnic instruments which one can never hear in others. It’s just perfectly distinctive. I was really captivated of Shigeru Umebayashi’s score of House of Flying Daggers, one of my favorite movies ever.

The Chinese people, wherever you looked always have that exclusive trait and culture that only them can call their rightful own. Filipinos should learn from them.