Friday, January 09, 2009



Upset at the Lakeshore

I was on my way home to Claveria on December 20, 2008. I boarded an RCJ bus that will depart at 8:30 PM. I was early when I arrive at the terminal but as usual, the bus left 30 minutes after 8:30 PM. I didn’t actually notice that the air con wasn’t working already. Since I don’t really like the bus to get too cold, I paid no attention.

We were in Pampanga; I don’t exactly know the particular place. The bus stopped at a petron station maybe to fill some gasoline. Unfortunately, we ended up staying there for the next three hours. Then I suddenly felt how hot it was inside the bus so I went out to pee. I went back to the bus and started reading Sputnik Sweetheart but I couldn’t concentrate. I then went on to buy some drink. I sat outside the convenience store and started reading again but I still can’t get myself to focus. I then pulled a chair and placed it under the streetlight. I began reading and it was just perfect. I almost finished the book, leaving only two chapters left but still no sign that we could already leave. Actually, the bus was waiting for another bus to give them some help with the problem. That’s why it’s taking them this long to fix it.

It’s already dawn of December 21 and we were still there. I think it was already 12:00 AM. I closed the book and went to buy a cup of coffee. I sat there just sipping my coffee, looking at the road and the cars passing by leaving us to where we’re left high and dry.