Wednesday, November 30, 2011

[INTERVIEW] Gang Dong-won - Part 2

Reporter : Wee Geun-woo | eight@10asia.co.kr
기사입력 2009.12.28 19:25 최종수정 2009.12.28 19:25


Actor Gang Dong-won [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]


10: You're like an actress in the sense that you receive absolute support from fans of the opposite gender and are someone who we are unlikely to see in our daily lives. You used to talk about playing games and reading comic books but you've become even more of an unrealistic being for us after saying that you like to make furniture and like to go in the woods.

Gang: But I think I really did. I spent about a year just making furniture.


10: What is it about making furniture that attracted you so much?

Gang: There's a huge sense of achievement in making a piece of furniture in the design that I want. It feels great oiling my piece and seeing the texture of the wood come to life at the end of the whole process. And you can save quite a bit of money to making your own furniture. It costs about 400,000 to 500,000 won for the wood that goes into making a table but this is nothing compared to trying to buy a piece of furniture.


10: If you had shot some TV commercials as actor Gang Dong-won during that time.

Gang: Yes, people around me told me to do something else instead and just buy furniture with the money I make doing that. But I'm someone who likes to go after what he wants.


10: But no matter how hard you look to do something you enjoy, isn't there a point it becomes work?

Gang: Yes, that is true. I started doing photoshoots because it was fun but it started becoming a concern and a hassle after having to prepare a dozen different articles of clothing everytime. You do have to end what you have started though. And there are times I feel proud after putting up with all of it. No matter what, I try my best to do things I can have fun with and if it isn't, I try to make the best out of the situation.



Actor Gang Dong-won [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]


10: Then how do you try and enjoy your work as an actor?

Gang: I love competition. I only play against one other player when playing the game "Winning 11" at home too. This may be a sensitive issue but when I'm working on a film, I set other actors or the director as my competition and enjoy that competition alone.


10: Then what stimulated your competitive spirit with "WOOCHI"?

Gang: First of all, the great cast. My personality is a bit twisted so when I'm filming with great actors, I think of how I can catch up with them rather than trying to learn from them.


10: And did you win?

Gang: It doesn't matter whether I actually did lose or win. I just hope I can become better than them some day. Such thoughts heat up the competition and makes everything more fun.


10: Did you not get hurt shooting the action scenes? The martial arts director praised you during an interview for pulling off even the most dangerous action scenes without a double.

Gang: I learned modern dance for about five months to shoot "Duelist" which helped me to act without tensing up my body so I didn't get hurt too much. I actually didn't have a personal trainer for "WOOCHI" but focused on basic physical training and played soccer at action school. (laugh) So my experiences from "Duelist" helped a lot. My body had gotten used to creating curves. I think wire action is closer to dance than martial arts.


Reporter : Wee Geun-woo eight@10asia.co.kr, Yoon Hee-Seong nine@10asia.co.kr
Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@10asia.co.kr
Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr, Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr
<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>