Friday, May 22, 2009

Everyday Trekking in Baguio

I had my very first vacation outside my home town. I was in Baguio during the holy week with Rhea. I’m used to traveling alone, but I’m not that accustomed in Baguio yet. I don’t remember going there or maybe I was just too young then to remember. We almost didn’t make it, it was quite late when we finally decided to pursue with the plan. We didn’t have problem with the tickets, the problem is with the accommodation. We were only lucky to have found a cheap transient house.

We were there for four days. It rained in the afternoon on our first day, so we ended up going home early. We went to Mines View Park; Wright Park; The Mansion; Camp John Hay; Crystal Cave; Easter Weaving; Baguio Cathedral; Burnham Park; Bell Church; Strawberry Farm and Tam-Awan Village.

I’m used to walking but in Baguio, it’s a different matter. I guess people there might already leg muscles. The roads and the streets are all in an upslope. It’s like you’re trekking everyday. It’s really tiring to walk when you’re going up of course. But I love the air, so clean, fresh and cool. Though at lunch until the afternoon, it’s quite hot.

I tried some of the local restaurants there. Rhea was on a fasting mood so I ate alone. I ordered boneless bangus and samurai crepe on the day of Friday in Zola. The food was fine; I like the interior of the resto. I don’t really like the red color but I appreciate the red in Zola and the lighting too. I ordered the next day at Sizzling Plate a porterhouse that was too much for me. It was my first time splurging on food so expensive like this. It was good, could have been better if I ate it hot. The interior was some kind of a cowboy inspired look.

Let’s talk about stairs. I don’t even remember how many steps have I climbed. I was too tired to even count. My legs were extremely taking its toll on me. We first had to climb a stair at the Baguio Cathedral. To our dismay, we later found out that there was an easier way without climbing the stairs. But the hardest was when we were to climb the stairs at Lourdes Grotto and the fact that it was raining made it twice as hard. It seemed to be our sacrifice.

It felt nice doing that for my self. I’ve always wanted to go on some traveling. From time to time, I’m going to have some trips outside the city; if my finances and my schedule permit me to do so. I would love to have my next stop at Puerto Galera.

It’s really beautiful in Baguio despite the increase of the population there. I wished I could have studied there. It’s really relaxing and calming to live there than here in Manila. It was a nice trip for me; I enjoyed every part of it and Rhea’s company of course.