Thursday, September 24, 2009






Reversing Boys Before Flowers

What if Yoon Ji-hoo never left Seoul and followed Seo-hyeon in Paris? What if he realized early on that he liked Jan-di? Things could have been a lot better for my Yoon Ji-hoo. I actually hoped the production of Boys Before Flowers could have reversed the ending. As they said there were some possibilities that they could alter the ending. It was like a dream for me since I’ve always been a Rui (Ji-hoo in the manga) – Makino (Jan-di in the manga) fan ever since the whole thing started.

I just found that initially, Yoko Kamio wanted Rui Hanazawa to be the main hero in the manga, but because of Tsukasa’s outrageous personality she changed her mind. She must have thought that for Makino to end up with the almost perfect Rui is too ideal and common for the readers. But you know, it’s different when you read it and when you see it on television being acted by actors. Like you see, millions of people fell in love with Ji-hoo more than that of Jun-pyo. I’m quite sure she wouldn’t mind if Group 8 made a different ending, besides it still is Hana Yori Dango you know. It’s just that this time they would be catering to the clamor of millions of Rui – Makino fans.

I haven’t read the manga when I saw the first television adaptation Meteor Garden from Taiwan. I immediately fell in love with Lei (Rui). I did have some desperation that Shan – Cai would end up with him instead. But it didn’t happen as I wanted it. Then I saw Hana Yori Dango, the Japanese version and I still liked Rui although this time I know what I wanted wouldn’t happen because I was now aware of the manga. However, when Boys Before Flowers came, I became more desperate that Jan-di would choose Ji-hoo in the end. Ji-hoo is the perfect Rui Hanazawa and the best incarnation of the manga character. Especially when I read that, Group 8 could change the ending. Just by hearing the prospect of it made me happy.

In fact, it’s actually easier to fall for a guy like Jun-pyo. In this present time, I think more girls prefer the bad boys than the goody serious types like Ji-hoo. Of course, it was a different time when Yoko Kamio wrote Hana Yori Dango and now. Girls must have thought having a serious relationship with a Ji-hoo type is dull and unexciting. They would prefer some stubborn, selfish, headstrong, stupid, immature and gets all he wants guy like Jun-pyo. Because to be honest, guys like Ji-hoo is so hard to find nowadays. Unlike during the previous times when guys like Ji-hoo was more predominant. This is the reason why I love Ji-hoo a lot more. I actually like Ji-hoo more than Rui in the manga. See, it’s because I’m in this present time when people’s preference to guys or men has changed. And it’s also the reason why millions of fans love Ji-hoo, more than Lei and Rui. He’s become like this epitome of perfect fairy tale prince.

I definitely choose Ji- hoo than Lei and Rui. Although all of them are based on the same manga character, there are evident differences between the three of them. I can’t explain myself, among the three of them, it was with Ji-hoo that I was hurt the most seeing him let go of Jan-di even though he himself needs her as much or even more than Jun-pyo. I just felt that Ji-hoo was more like Rui in the manga or even better than Rui in the manga. He just seemed so real to me. It’s been so hard for him the most, because he had to make a choice between his best friend and the girl he loves. He doesn’t want to hurt Jun-pyo so he gave way but Jun-pyo kept giving him reasons to doubt his intentions for Jan-di. That is why he just can’t let go of Jan-di so easy. He just can’t leave her all by herself. Because Jan-di kept on showing that she can’t deal with all of it all alone. She’s always giving reasons for Ji-hoo to not leave her alone with all the things she’s been dealing with. And, I just feel so much for him because I know how it feels to be in the same situation. Because he isn’t like Jun-pyo, because he is self less. If there is someone who must have been hurt the most of all, no doubt it’s Ji-hoo because he was the one who have sacrificed so much for other people’s happiness even sacrificing his own. I still remember what he said to Jan-di in that episode in New Caledonia, “ I feel like my life have been so miserable, all I’ve been doing is to wait for that someone even if I’m not sure she’ll ever come back. “

Okay, Yoon Ji-hoo is too good to be true but since I think I’ll never ever meet someone like him in real life; at least in dramas I would have wanted to see those Ji-hoo type of guys end up with the girl they deserve more than the one who were chosen in the end. But I guess what they say is true, that in real life it is always the one who is more worthy and more deserving who are left out or become second choice. But then, no matter how much I wanted Jan-di to end up with Ji-hoo, I came to realize that someone so good to be true like him deserves someone far better than Jan-di – far better.

I’ve always seen myself in the Rui character but I’ve seen myself in Ji-hoo sunbae the most. We are so alike in many ways, that he’s too perfect for someone like Jan-di and that I’m too pathetic to still be pining for that same person after a long time. But I strongly believe, he deserves more than that. Most of all, he deserves happiness.